Tuesday, December 27, 2016

My Sister Called

Unlike most households in America today, we still have a landline. We're weird like that. Truthfully, it's because I'm home most of the time and my husband's phone is provided by the employer.

Like most households, we have caller ID. It would be an usual day when, at some point, there wasn't a call from my sister. Since it's currently the Christmas season, I tend to jump straight to that White Christmas tune "Sisters, sisters..." I do sing it out loud, I can't help it.



My sister- we have a typical bond, but I feel that it may be from unusual circumstances. Or not. She's the only sister I've ever had. We are eight years apart. I am the older one. I was seen as a troublemaker, she was seen as a golden child. In my opinion, the roles are reversed.

We weren't terribly close for a long time. It's hard when I'm in college and then raising babies, and she's still in high school. When she went to college, we had a better opportunity to get to know each other. When she moved home, I begged her to move here instead.

When she got married.... well. We don't talk about that year, mostly because we didn't talk to each other that year. Then we got over it and she had a baby. Now we talk to each other more than anyone else.

As her older sister, with four kids, I am the encyclopedia.

"I need help. What do I do for teething?"
"I need help. How do I know if the milk went bad?"
"Sister, I need you."

I am honored that she trusts me. I am honored that I can be here for her, even though I'm a thousand miles away. I also know that if it weren't me, it would be our beloved Grandmother.

Watch for more about when my sister calls.

No comments:

Post a Comment